Friday, June 29, 2012

life should be...

"Life should always be abundantly joyful and effortless"

I saw this on a sign outside a local chiropractor's office.
I think it is supposed to be read as encouragement.
But I keep getting stuck on the "should be" and the hyperbolic nature of the sign.
I mean, I do believe one should certainly be on the look-out for the moments in life which are abundantly joyful and/or effortless.

But if life were always those things, how would we recognize those truly spectacular moments?
 {those moments that leave us in awe of this world, the people around us, and the promise of richness to come}
How are we to make sense of the abundantly gritty, effort-full, deeply sad, or confusing moments?


Obviously, I keep getting stuck on the realities of life.
Life is:
sometimes abundantly joyful
and sometimes effortless
{but}
Much of the time, it is a lot of hard work and we have a hard time finding the joy.

So I have revised the saying in my mind to read:
Life should always be open to find abundant joy in our effort.

1 comment: