Friday, September 7, 2012

intimidating quiet

this morning is the first in months that i am home. alone. 
without children or spouse. without a looming deadline. without a trip to plan. 
the quiet is intimidating.

i had my usual morning phone check-in with my partner.
he thought if i was in a 3-pane comic strip, my character would take a nap.
 it made me feel a little embarrassed
because that is exactly what i felt like doing...taking a nap.
but unlike the comic strip, he said, my nap would be well-deserved.
nice save. 
sort of.
 he is right, a nap would likely be legit
{this past week, for a lot of reasons, has not been stellar for sleeping}
but if i am honest with myself, 
a nap = a strategy to avoid confrontation with reality.

the quiet is intimidating 
because it demands i be present in reality.


so this morning i am going to take reality at MY pace.
i am going to sit, intimidated, for a moment
{let it wash over me}
and then i am going to take reality on
one thing at a time

until it is nap time.

2 comments:

  1. that was the last two mornings for me- no one here, plenty to do but nothing that demanded my immediate immediate attention, and a little pause in life to work and do what i wanted with my morning. it was a gift.

    naps are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, naps are glorious...as are gifted mornings. I might get to like this whole home alone thing!

      Delete