Tuesday, October 9, 2012

slowing it down

all my life i have taken comfort in the phrase "life is busy"
as though busy is something to be proud of
i mean, busy makes sense to me &
busy feels valuable and so
busy somehow became my antidote to boredom.
{you know that evil state-of-being from childhood}   
for better and worse, i have carried that value into my family life.
  
this summer"life is busy" started to feel like an albatross
something to be ashamed of
busy started to leave me feeling creaky in the mornings
busy began to feel like a sentence, less of a choice
busy left me feeling vulnerable
sure,
 i get lots done
{but there always seems to be a mountain of "to-do" left in its wake}
 we have fun in the moment 
{but the energy output often feels disproportionate to the the enjoyment derived}
i feel greater connection to the world around us
{but i've been feeling less connected to the "we" of my little family
so,
my husband and i decided to slow it down 
to be more intentional about how we spend our time and about our decisions for activities.
 and honestly, the result has been a mixed bag:
we cannot get away from some obligations to be busy 
{reality of working}
some folks reflect their disappointment
{"no" is hard
the requests and demands seem to be increasing as the littles get older.
but 
our boys don't seem to mind the added unfettered play time
we have time now in our "routine" to do things like read books together every night
or spend an afternoon pretending to be puppies
my husband and i get to eat dinner and talk and watch a show or listen to a podcast together after the boys go to bed instead of having to figure out a way to do those things all at once.
i don't creak as much in the morning when i wake up
i get to cook more and bake more
and we have been able to schedule regular massages with my dad instead of going from crisis to crisis
{it has only taken 6 years}
i have time to write a couple of letters
and sometimes 
i just sit with nothing to do

we talk more and rush less.
and
this season feels good.

 

1 comment:

  1. team mateo and sooz need to do this. timely post for me to read again (haha i hate how i can't comment when i read from my phone but the upside is that i get to re-read posts when i'm on my actual computer)

    ReplyDelete