Friday, March 11, 2011

my favorite word

If I ever had to identify a favorite word, I might choose
perichoresis
{describing the mutual interconnectedness and indwelling quality of the Trinity - Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit}
I've no reason to use it in everyday conversation but I do find myself reciting it under my breath.
{sometimes}
I think I like the way it rolls off my tongue.

I first learned the word when I was in graduate school {round one}
And while it is used primarily to describe the nature of the Trinity, I admit I have taken the liberty to translate its meaning into a broader application.  
Specifically, the concept of knowing and being oneself {we are who we are} 
in the embrace and interconnectedness of those "other" than us.

I have a friend who, during her ordination process, used the word {perichoretic} in her statement of faith.  When she was asked about it, she used an illustration from her wedding {a wreath} to describe the concept - this idea of two becoming one.  

The fullness and beauty of bringing together seemingly disparate materials.

Inextricably linked.

 
I feel encouraged to pursue the inherent value of putting ourselves out there with the "other" 
- of subjecting ourselves to the perils of being in relationships with those who are other than us - 
in an attempt to realize our own strength and potential.

I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment