Tuesday, May 31, 2011

time is on your side

I have plans.  I have ambitions.
If you ask most anyone who knows me, I have something that I am working on.
Big plans
The kind of plans that get me rejected for a job because I am
"obviously not looking to stay here long-term - you know, to make this your career."
{Hm}

All my life I have had people say, "slow down, take it easy, don't kill yourself...!"
You've got so much time.
You've got so much time to accomplish what you want to accomplish.
Enjoy yourself!
And all my life those admonitions have given me a rash the size of Montana.
{Seriously}

a.
I am enjoying myself.
b.
I am enjoying myself AND I have plans.
c.
I do much better when life/a job/things are a little challenging.  
{this is for real}
d.
None of the above are mutually exclusive.
{and that might not make sense to you}

In fact, at this moment, life is a little crazy.
It makes me crazy and I feel a smidge claustrophobic but the truth is: I like it that way.
At this moment, I have plans that extend pretty darn far.
 I recently met with my supervisor, and she said to me,

"Daphne, the good news is, you have time..."

For the first time, those words felt like salve to some anxiety that was mounting.
She spoke wisdom into my life.

Statement of fact:
you have time.

No need to tell me to slow down 
{that'd be futile, obvi}

No need to tell me to enjoy myself 
{because she can see how much i am enjoying myself, even if things are not going according to plan}

No need to warn me against killing myself 
{because one might need a little sadomasochism to get where i wanna go}

And just like that, those words I hated so much were transformed:

Time is on your side.
{yes, it is}

No comments:

Post a Comment