Tuesday, June 28, 2011

punctuality

When I was 16, my grandparents gifted me a watch.
The accompanying card said something about the 
importance of being punctual and 
maybe now that I have a watch, I'd be able to be "more on time."
{ouch}

Here's the thing:
Tardiness was our family culture.
{I mean, honestly, at age 16 I was barely able to get myself from point a to point b without a chauffeur}
Who am I kidding? 
Tardiness remains a notorious way of being when my family of origin gets together.

But as I gave myself high marks for punctuality on a recent self-evaluation at work, 
I felt a great sense of pride and satisfaction and wanted to say "So there!" to my grandparents.
{Obviously, I have taken their suggestion to heart}

As further evidence, last week, in an attempt to pull off a major surprise for my mother, I was significantly late for her celebration event.  In later conversation, she confided to me that she had started getting worried about me because
"that's so unlike you to be late..."

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:
Importance of punctuality: Internalized.

SO THERE, Grandma and Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment