Tuesday, July 26, 2011

a case against the (aging) man

www.smurf.com

Have you ever noticed that many popular cartoons cast an aging man as antagonist?
{kind of like feature-length Disney films cast witch-y women...}

When I started thinking about it this morning, I realized this has been the case for cartoons over a number of decades, not just the cartoons made since my kiddo has been watching television.  
Just off the top of my head I can think of:
The Smurfs
Dennis the Menace
Fairly Odd Parents
Sponge Bob Squarepants
Phineas and Ferb
Looney Tunes (think: Elmer Fudd)

This particular antagonist characterization serves well for plot advancement and humor, meeting general appeal across generations but I begin to wonder about the impact {if any} it has on our kiddos as cartoon consumption increases.  Consumption in overall screen time, as well as show quantity. 

Before the hyper-cable options, DVR, Netflix, DVD box sets, and streaming videos on the internet, we had to wait for weekly installments of our favorite shows and the number of overall choices was definitely more limited.  One might argue the former rate of exposure allowed for a more distinct line between real-life and fantasy.  I wonder, on the other hand, if increased screen time combined with the present ability to watch shows in a marathon fashion,  impacts a child's {or adult's, for that matter} ability to delineate between fact and fiction. 
I wonder if it impacts one's expectations for the people in their lives and the roles those people play?

I am sure numerous cartoons provide a counterpoint to my observation but this morning, as my kiddo watched Phineas and Ferb, I started thinking about the meta-message(s) hiding in the belly of this casting choice.  In a time when we are trying to encourage children to identify adults as allies, we have numerous media examples where adults, especially adult men, are not to be trusted.  

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment