Monday, April 11, 2011

oh, for the love of pantyhose!

Everything I learned about being a professional, I learned from my first supervisor.
It was not an easy task - taming me into a professional.
I am fairly certain she had no idea what she was up against.
But she was stubborn and that counted for something.

There was that one time... 
when I had a rough morning with a few pairs of pantyhose (think dog puke) and I showed up to work with bare legs (I did have on a long skirt, mind you) for an "event." 

There were no pleasantries. 
There was no sympathetic listening.

Just this:
"...you need to get your little coat on...get into your little car...and go find some pantyhose before I see you again..."

It was not a good day.
But I learned...

...that you have less than 15 seconds to make an impression on someone.

...the impression you make often has a lot to do with what you wear and how you present yourself 
{beyond confidence. beyond your oration ability. beyond how well you "know your stuff."}

...it is important to wear pantyhose for "events" and "interviews."  
{Of course}

...it is important that you wear clothing that does not show nipples, or bra straps, or too much cleavage.

...it is important to wear pants that are neither too saggy nor too tight and skirts that aren't too short
{It's not really anyone's business to see what you are packing underneath, after all}

...it is important to wear a little makeup
{especially if that is what it takes to make you look "awake"}

...no one really wants to see your belly button when you are offering support or a sales pitch.

...it is fun to be a professional - when you know the rules - and are willing to play by them.

So, as I donned a pair of pantyhose in preparation for a recent interview, I couldn't help but feel appreciative of the lengths my supervisor had gone to "learn me" into a professional.  

I still don't like wearing pantyhose.  
But they, and the other lessons, serve me well. 

Every time.

4 comments:

  1. a) I finally got around to reading your blog and am really enjoying it!
    b) I also despise pantyhose. MUCH bigger fan of tights (the ones without the feet/ankles).
    c) I'm pretty sure I've never seen you wear makeup, but maybe that's because I've never attended a job interview with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I actually wear eyeliner and mascara for work...but that is it and it takes me a year to retire a tube of either.

    My former supervisor reminded me of this one too: pearls and/or earrings can dress up any outfit...both = a POWER outfit. Oh, RME, how I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pantyhose crisis just last week! This post made me chuckle...thanks for sharing your thoughts with the blogosphere, Daph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What job was THAT that the supervisor made you go out and get pantyhose? That's one good thing about nursing - I get/am expected to wear scrubs(that are like pjs) and comfy shoes.

    ReplyDelete