Wednesday, February 15, 2012

on my way to work

Each time I head to work, I pass by this banner planted on a church lawn:
Do justice.
Love kindness.
Walk humbly with God.
                                                            - Micah 6:8

And, I read it and reflect on it. 
Every time.
This week I realized how I have come to rely upon that banner;
it centers me somehow and helps me transition into work.

work.
A place where I need to see each person and situation with "just" eyes and respond accordingly.
A place where I am asked to offer kindness to people in situations that test the limits of kindness.
A place where I need to humble myself {my thoughts, my attitude, my pride, my agenda} -  to be fully present.
With others.
In the moment.

I pass by this banner on the way home too.
But it does not catch my eye.
I have no idea if it says the same thing on the other side.
And it doesn't matter. 
The words still ring in my ears long after my shift is over.
And even now as I am preparing for bed, it sits gently in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment