Friday, March 30, 2012

NPR makes life complicated

 Sometimes listening to NPR in the car with children makes life more complicated.
Like this week when the coverage lingers over 
a white man killing a black teenager in a hoodie 
and the 
national debate over health care.
I mean, really - how do you respond to these questions and considerations?

"Why are some people afraid of black people?"

"I have health insurance, right? Will judges take that away?"
 
"Do you think if we live a little longer and get farther from the civil rights era that we might start to feel more even about black people and white people?"

"Do you sometimes make decisions about whether to buy groceries or to buy health insurance?" 

"I wear hoodies...do you think it makes people afraid of me...will someone accidentally shoot me?"

"You know, it would be okay if the government told me to eat broccoli...I eat it all the time anyway." 

"I hope those families will be okay...it would be so sad to have your son shot and dead...you would be sad if someone shot me, wouldn't you?"

This week I have talked about more about 
{racism and prejudice}{equality and basic human rights}{the role of government and the Supreme Court
{what makes me nervous about this next election
with my 8 year-old than I have with my friends or family.  
His questions and considerations have required me to don my most thoughtful hats and offer responses that are as objective as possible in an attempt to provide the best platform for him to manage his own conclusions. 

It is difficult and complicated.  

I would love for him to espouse what I believe and yet, 
I remain fervent in my goal to be a parent who is able to offer our kids the:

Most complete information I can about the world around them  
{and}
Space to consider that information within their developmental framework  
{and}
Opportunity to reflect back what they are hearing or putting together  
{and}
Flexibility to consider perspectives outside one's comfort zone  
{and}
Encouragement to wade into the gray matter 
{because}
 
Life is not so black and white.
No matter how much we might wish {or pretend} it is so.
And the future of our nation depends on our ability to think critically 
 {about
the issues that reside in the space between the black and white.

{gray}

1 comment:

  1. matt and i were just talking this- about the difficult territory it is to be a parent & to wade into conversations that get to the heart of humanity. not a big deal, but last night one of the chickens dies (and we have been talking about death a lot bc a mom of two of m's classmates school died from cancer last month AND there have been two fatal shooting of kids in oakland on corners we drive by ALL the time this year) and it's all m can talk about: "i can still love the chicken if she dies. why did she die? was she sick? are all the chickens going to die? sometimes when you are sick, then you die, right mom? if i really really like the others chickens a lot they'll be ok and the won't die." ay.

    gray gray gray

    ReplyDelete