Monday, April 30, 2012

to wed or not to wed

"You know, Daphne, it would be so cool if you got ordained to officiate weddings..."

I have been thinking about this recommendation.
It has been suggested numerous times.
In some ways it makes a lot of sense since I already do the premarital counseling.
In some ways it is just one more thing.


I think it would be pretty fantastic to be able to officiate weddings.
{whether I did the premarital work with a couple or not}
But I also have this underlying thing about who "should" officiate weddings.
And I think about all of my friends who are ministers and weddings are one of the "things" they do.
And isn't marriage sacred?

But, would being ordained outside of a particular denomination allow me to officiate same-sex weddings?  Is it worth being someone who could officiate weddings, honoring the sacred, for persons who otherwise may have hang-ups about the religious overtones of marriage in a church?

The actual cost of license is not that much.
But is the benefit worth it?

3 comments:

  1. I think that there is no one "right" way to view what a marriage can mean. Of course, it's the most sacred union of a man and a woman, to some. To others, it's the symbol of unity between to souls, and a commitment to care for one another. Not being a religious or even a spiritual person at all, I found that trying to identify a person who would officiate our wedding to be a very difficult task. I think that if you feel that obtaining a license to oversee a ceremony of love and devotion to be in line with how you view marriage, then the benefit to you and to those who you could wed would possibly be great! Good luck as you think about this - I think you would be great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, tanya, for your thoughtful reply. it is definitely an element to my vocation that is working its way into the mix. to be continued...

      Delete
  2. For those that do not have a Pete Morgan in there lives, I can only think of one person for the job. The rest of the world needs you. I vote wed.

    ReplyDelete