Saturday, February 2, 2013

language matters

in big ways and in small ways, language matters.
most days i don't think about it much 
and i certainly don't think about how I adjust my language from one context to another
but the adjustments happen 
{unwittingly
and 
other people notice.

i was reminded of this when i started seeing a bed-bound client through my private practice.
entering my client's home and sitting at bedside was reminiscent of my work at the hospital 
{from whence i'd just come}
we concluded our first session and as i was walking out the door, i heard:

thank you...for referring to me as your client, rather than your patient.
i felt regarded as a real person while we met - not as a disabled, bedridden patient.
that means a lot to me.
thank you.
in that doorway, i thought of the duality of words.
on the one hand, words are just words - somewhat insignificant in the grand scheme of life; 
we use them "only" to transmit information
but
the what and the how of communication comprise the fabric of our relationships.
 a fact that is both obvious {duh, right?} and worthy of reminder:

in big and small ways, 
language matters





No comments:

Post a Comment