Sunday, February 24, 2013

"good enough" parent confession #1


This picture looks so sweet, yes?


On the one hand, it totally is. 
One day I am going to miss how he defines "mama snuggles:"
forehead touching, feet tucked under my legs, and one hand free to caress my face until he falls asleep

On the other hand, I am over it.
I wish a tonsillectomy healed in a day - maybe two.
We have been in this mode for five days.
{last night he slept on top of me, belly-to-belly and cheek-to-cheek}
 Day and night, he wants to be touching or held

He is not the only one.  
His older brother is jealous for the attention and tries to squeeze himself into any open spot I appear to have.  My husband is aware that I am maxed out but he wants to be close too.
{yesterday morning I woke up sandwiched between two kids beneath a blanket of hubby arm}
Needless to say, my physical, emotional, and mental spaces are all spoken for.
case in point: the little is all-upons, even as I type this post.

So, here is my confession #one:
I love being a mother.
I love attending to the needs of my family but
My stamina for the requirements of this role has limits:
I also need space
{to think & feel & escape
to "just be" with and for myself.

4 comments:

  1. You almost make me wish I could invent footy-pajamas for kids/husbands with a lining that feels like "touching mom"...to give to all the mama-wives out there who just need a little room to breathe sometimes. (ps - you may have just infected me with the writing bug again...I have an idea that's been percolating. thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, mama's touch jammies would be awesome! as for the writing bug, i LOVE it! I was just telling Trevor last night that I keep looking for a new Jill post - it has been a while...

      Delete
  2. Oh man, Daphne...I can totally relate to this post lately. Actually, since around xmas time, which is when Mira started getting in her bottom molars and morphed into a mommy cling-on. I love, love, love that I have such a snuggly baby, but holy crap does it make me feel so touched out and claustrophobic some days! And, with that feeling comes a side of mommy guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I try to remember that this too shall pass but even that feels a little lame when I am touched out!

      Delete