Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"good enough" parent confession #2

This is a story about poop.
I suspect you might find it a little bit gross and a little bit funny.
I should probably triple-think about whether to post or not.
But, in the day of a life of {being human} - you know what they say:
Shit happens.

It was a beautiful day to take a walk into town.
Our infant was settled comfortably in the stroller as we bumped along the river
and then took in the storefronts along main street.
We were out quite a while, taking in the crisp warmth of the day, 
before I realized I hadn't stopped for coffee as I'd originally intended.

I quickly detoured into a local shop before returning home to catch nap time.
As I reached into the basket of the stroller for my coffee mug, I noticed a familiar scent.
We abandoned the line and strolled into the bathroom.
I pulled our infant from the seat to find his diaper had been no match for his business.
I immediately got to work: I stripped him down, cleaned him up, wiped down the stroller, and reached for a clean diaper and clothes.
 -
Nothing
-
Think fast. 
Shake out excess poop from pants. Create makeshift diaper from paper towel. Place baby back in stroller. Cover baby with poop-smeared blanket. Hope no one notices. Return to line. Order coffee.

Heart beating, ears burning, and completely self-conscious, I hand my travel mug to the barista.
As the mug exchanges hands, I notice the non-industrial, disgustingly biological smudge along the silicone sleeve.  I remain silent.  My palms start to sweat.  I avoid eye-contact.
The barista rinses it out and hands it back to me, filled with liquid comfort.
I say thank you and leave a tip in the jar 
{it is the least I can do}
She wipes her hands on her apron and helps the next person in line.
Exit stage left.


confession #two
Most days you are not as prepared as you would like to be {or envision in your head}.
Sometimes improvisational reactions go without a hitch
{and}
Sometimes, you have poop on your coffee mug and request a refill anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment